While I did have the manual for our relatively new washer/dryer, it was all in French and needed translation. I needed both my French/English dictionary and Google Translator to make any sense of it. I was able to understand enough to throw the first load in, but resigned myself to the fact that this would require some trial and error.
The first time I washed a load, I used just soap and the laundry came out with a starchy, rough feel to it. After a few loads this way and some uncomfortable undergarments, we both decided that we probably weren't washing things exactly right. Then during a shopping trip to Monoprix, our local grocery store, I noticed a bottle of fabric softener next to the detergent. We saw improvement in our next load and thought we had figured it all out. The only thing that bothered us was that we had heard that the water in Paris contains lots of minerals, mostly calcium, and Parisians used something for this. My French teacher gave me a tip on what to buy and that was the key. That must have been the key, since everything comes out really soft now.
Unfortunately, the dryer part of the unit isn't actually a dryer. It's more like the spin cycle on most US washers. So, after getting our clothes to a dampened instead of wet state, we have to take them out and air dry them in the apartment.
Similarly, our dishwasher required some special products. The dishwasher requires detergent, something similar to wet jet, and a special salt to keep the water lines from clogging with minerals. The dishwasher is a miniature version of what we're use to; it doesn't hold a lot, but it seems to get the job done. Oh, and it takes about 2 hours for the dishwasher to complete its cycle.
After mastering both appliances, we feel one step closer to being real Parisians!
3 comments:
Hey, I found you guys! I was having a conversation with Kendra last night about this exact thing. French washers seem to take so much longer than their American counterparts. I found the trick was to wash on the delicate cycle. We don't have a dryer (or even a spin cycle dryer) and it drives me nuts having to dry my clothes on a clothes rack!
I'm interested to know what your teacher recommended you get for the washer, though. We use fabric softener, but with air drying, our clothes still tends to come out more starchy than I'd like it to.
I wonder if they have customer support for their appliances and products. If they have a website on the package or the French user guide, maybe they will then have an English version. You know how we have so many user guides that have multiple languages. The formulations for their laundry products could be way different than those at home. Also, here when clothes are stiff, one cause is too much detergent in the wash.
Anyway, it was good that you got local advice and tips.
Hey-my teacher recommended using Calgon in every wash. She said its the limescale buildup on the fabrics that leaves the rough/starchy feeling. Calgon removes the limescale and leaves the clothes feeling softer and brightens the fabrics.
Post a Comment